Beanie Budgets - looking for testers (beancount compatible iOS app)

Thank you Simon for inviting me to post here.

Beanie Budgets is a beancount compatibile native iOS app. I have been working on it for purely personal reasons: I really wanted an elegant iOS app to capture transactions on the go. More to the point, I didn't want to pay for subscriptions or entrust my data to someone else's server.

Which explains my plans for pricing. I intend to offer Beanie Budgets as a core version completely free. The free version should be enough for most people and provides a fully featured ledger, or compatibility with your own beancount ledger (hopefully anyway pls let me know!). It also includes budget setting, a series of reports and useful quality of life tools baked-in to detect, create and edit recurring transactions; make and allocate balance adjustments; calculate and allocate interest on mortgages and loans correctly; and auto-clear credit cards.

I do intend to charge a one-off "Pro" version unlock to people willing to pay for a few extra bells and whistles (multi ledger support, financial planning reports based on your actual ledger data, customised budgets, theme customisation etc.). I was thinking of £10 or so...? I can see a lot of potential to develop the financial planning reports further. There's a big benefit to ground these in real ledger numbers and real saving patterns. Working versions of these reports are live now in the app but they need a bit more polish, just turn on "Pro" features in Settings.

It's a closed source project at least for now. Requires iOS 18 or above.

I have a few places left on TestFlight. Looking forward to your feedback :slight_smile:

PS I know the website needs a lot of work, I'll get round to it :wink:

3 Likes

Looks great and I find it very easy to use.

The only things that I would ask for right now are:

  • Allow multiple commodities.
  • It feels like there's a lot of tutorial popups for simple things (plus button for adding transactions / don't worry you can change accounts later) maybe have them auto hide after a set timeout?
  • (this one is very niche) allow for webdav / outside of iCloud sync. 100% understand this is a panda box of bug and see why the majority of apps stick with iCloud

Thanks for taking the time to feedback. I’ll look into multiple commodities and WebDAV - not my area of knowledge but a post on Reddit made a similar point (they suggested using Tailscale which I think should work…). The tutorial pop ups should be one and done but a timer is a good idea. Appreciated… and sorry for the delay - I’ve been in a tent for a few days in the middle of nowhere.

Hi just thought I'd provide an update to let you know I implemented your ideas around timing out the notifications and commodities / price handling - thank you so much. Full capabilities as they stand outlined here: FAQ — Beanie Budgets I am going to push to the app store soon but continue to add improvements. On Reddit people have got WebDAV working by using Tailscale and mounting in the iOS files app before following the onboarding in the app so maybe that will work for you. Thanks again!

I'll have to look at the reddit thread as my webdav is public so I shouldn't need tailscale in the mix.