ANN: hledger 1.99.4 (& 1.52.4)

I'm pleased to announce two hledger releases!

hledger 1.52.4: dependency updates, for packagers.

hledger 1.99.4 (2.0 preview 4): new holdings report, better lot tracking, command aliases, reorganised help command, run/repl improvements, barewide balance layout, hledger-ui memory leak fix, hledger-web security fixes.

https://hledger.org/relnotes.html
https://hledger.org/install

Status update / reminder

hledger 1 and 2: Both hledger 1 and 2 (the 1.99.x preview releases) are suitable for daily use. hledger 1 is receiving only essential fixes; the hledger 2 preview releases are strictly better, highly compatible, and by using the latest you help make the final 2.0 release (coming later this year) better.

AI use: Here is our current AI - hledger policy. (If you disagree with it, please be patient while we navigate this period..) In summary:

  • The official hledger tools do not have any built in AI features or use any AI while running. (Some third-party addons do.)

  • hledger 1.52.1 and below had no AI use during development. Level 0.

  • hledger 1.52.2+ have a few small uses of AI-generated code (fully-understood security fixes copied from 2.x). Level 2-4.

  • hledger 2 (1.99.1+) uses careful AI-assisted development. Level 4.5 (AI-generated code with active human steering/testing/full understanding. In 2026 we have been using a 6-month OSS credit, very successfully; hledger is better tested, better documented, and more robust than ever.)

Sponsorship

If hledger is providing value to you or your organisation, and your finances allow it, you can help by becoming a Sponsor - hledger .

3 Likes

I installed 1.99.4 and happily cannot see any differences for my workflow or issues otherwise.. If I hit a problem where should I raise it?

BTW, I had 1.52.x installed via homebew (on a Mac) and had to go direct install for 2.0. If preview 4 was part of my the standard brew upgrade, I would have it installed without even thinking about it.

TIm

1 Like

Thanks for testing! You can discuss/give feedback at any of the usual https://hledger.org/support.html channels. Chat is quickest.

Understood. The 1.99.x prereleases intentionally aren't fully packaged, allowing us more leeway to experiment and stabilise and then make a bigger splash with 2.0.

1 Like